Graveyard and Cemetery Liaison Group
The inaugural meeting of the Scottish Graveyard and Cemetery Liaison Group took place on 25th February 2003. The meeting was convened by Historic Scotland to bring together parties with a vested interest in graveyard management to discuss priorities in common and to exchange information and expertise.
To identify and integrate the efforts of all relevant bodies who can influence practice in the management of burial grounds and cemeteries.
- Church of Scotland
- Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA)
- Carved Stones Adviser, Council for Scottish Archaeology
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- Historic Scotland Heritage Policy Group (HPG)
- Historic Scotland Technical Conservation Research and Education (TCRE)
- Historic Scotland Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments (IAM)
- Historic Scotland Historic Buildings Inspectorate (HBI)
- Historic Scotland Health and Safety Adviser
- National Association of Memorial Masons (NAMM)
- Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management (ICCM)
- Association of Regional and Island Archaeologists (ARIA)
- Institute of Historic Buildings Conservation (IHBC) in Scotland
- Representative of private cemeteries
- Representative of local authority cemetery managers
- Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH)
- Cemetery Research Group, University of York
To provide a forum:
- To discuss, agree, promote, and implement best practice standards in the management of historic burial grounds and cemeteries.
- To agree best practice standards in the management of historic burial grounds and cemeteries.
- To promote best practice in the management of historic burial grounds and cemeteries.
- To co-ordinate implementation of best practice in the management of historic burial grounds and cemeteries.
Specific duties include:
- Reviewing currently available data.
- Overseeing the preparation of guidance on best practice.
- Commenting on proposed briefs, draft guidance etc.
The Group's first focus of will be on memorial stability programmes, in particular;
- The preparation of guidance on emergency measures for cemetery managers and works teams (get download [1.4MB]).
- The agreement of standards of best practice for memorial stability programmes.
Page last updated March 2006